Listed are what I feel are the best dog foods.
I believe with every ounce of me that you should feed the very best you possibly can. What you put into your dog starting as a puppy will absolutely, without a doubt, make the difference in his health for the rest of his life—which, I also feel will be extended by several years—and be disease-free. Spending a little extra in the quality of food you feed your dog will save you thousands in vet bills later and extend your dog’s life and enhance the quality.
In order of best choices to worst:
- A complete, balanced home-prepared Raw diet.
- You’ll need the book, “Dr. Becker’s Real Food for Healthy Cats and Dogs“
- Commercially prepared frozen complete Raw diet
- Commercially prepared dehydrated/freeze-dried complete diet
- Human-grade canned & kibble
- Super-premium kibble
I believe all foods should be:
- Organic if possible
- Free-range (pastured) meat
- Sourced within the U.S. or Canada, or New Zealand
- No food you feed your dog should include corn, wheat, soy, or oats.
- No food should list unnamed meat sources (e.g., “meat meal”, “meat by-products”). The first 6 ingredients listed on the dog food are the most important.
Switch food brands/manufactures and protein sources often. This is the best way to be certain your dog is receiving a well-balanced diet.
I now feel quality of ingredients and the freshest possible ingredients is most important and a bag of processed dry dog food is not it any of these things.
Commercial Raw and/or Dehydrated Dog Foods (First choice for your dog or puppy):
- The Honest Kitchen (100% human grade ingredients and dehydrated–just add water to hydrate and serve!)
- Wysong Raw Pet Food
- Sojos – Homemade Pet Food Made Easy
- Primal Dehydrated Foods:
Only Natural Pet Grain-Free MaxMeat Air Dried Dog Food
Available in Beef, Chicken, and/or Lamb & Cod (I absolutely love this stuff!!!)
- Wysong Holistic Dog Food
- Only Natural Pet Canine PowerFood
- Precise Holistic Complete (Adult)
- Precise Holistic Complete Large Breed Puppy
- Pure Vita – Holistic
- Planet Organics
- Nutri Source Large Breed Puppy
Human-grade Canned Dog Foods
Human-grade canned dog foods can be an excellent addition, so if you have more money than time, human-grade canned foods are an excellent addition.
Note: I sometimes use affiliate links wherein if you purchase using one of the links, I receive a small referral fee which is of no extra cost to you whatsoever. I only recommend or affiliate with products or companies I’ve tried myself.